Saturday, March 17, 2012

March is maddening!!!

It comes around once a year.  You know it's here by the crumpled up paper in the wastebasket, by the grumblings going on at the nearest watering hole, by the lack of anything productive being done at work.  Yes, my friends, it is March Madness.  No other time has a name fit so well.  

Why do so many people love this time of year?  

It's easily my favorite sports time of the year, even when I don't have a team vying for a championship.  Why is that?  For me, the Super Bowl can be hard to get into if I don't care about either team.  I feel the same way about the World Series, BCS Championship, and the NBA Finals.  March Madness is different though.  It is a tournament of 68 teams (68's right?  It still should be 64).  It's do or die time.  It's pure excitement.  The first weekend is the best part of an unbiased observer like myself.  You have games all day long, usually 3 or 4 at a time.

Why is March Madness so great?

Everybody loves a Davis vs. Goliath story.  We love the small underdog taking on the big boys.  That's why there are so many of these type of movies: Hoosiers, Rudy, Major League, Rocky, Cool Running, Little Giants.  There's a reason people love those movies.  They are inspirational.  At no other time will you find me being a huge Belmont fan, or a big Lehigh fan.  No other time will I say "Go Norfolk St.".  However, when these teams do the unbelievable, I feel like a kid on Christmas.  I jump up and down and continue to say, "I can't believe it".  This is what brings out the Madness in March.

It's great because of the last second shots to win the game.  It's Bryce Drew hitting the shot to help his dad reach the next game.  It's seeing the Christian Laettner shot over and over reminding me why I dislike Duke.  It's Rip Hamilton hitting the shot against Washington to save them from being upset.  It's Tyus Edney going coast-to-coast against Mizzou on their way to a championship.  It's John Lucas hitting the three to take my alma mater to the Final Four.

March Madness is one of the reasons we all watch sports.  

May your March continue to be maddening!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment